Forming a small business can be a wild ride—fun and exciting at times, but bumpy and painful at other times too. In both the highs and lows of running a business, odds are that someone has encouraged and inspired you along the way. It could be someone you know who works hard every day of the week to keep their small business afloat in your hometown, or it could be someone as famous and successful as Steve Jobs and Apple Inc.
In an effort to encourage and inspire you further in your business ventures, here are 5 inspirational quotes from successful businessmen:
- On Passion: “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs, CEO, Co-founder, Chairman of Apple Inc.
- On Motivation: “My biggest motivation? Just to keep challenging myself. I see life almost like one long University education that I never had — everyday I’m learning something new.” –Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group
- On Perseverance: “How you climb a mountain is more important than reaching the top.”–Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia
- On Failure: “It’s fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure.”- Bill Gates, founder and chairman of Microsoft
- On Leadership: “A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – John C. Maxwell, founder of INJOY, Maximum Impact, The John Maxwell Team, ISS and EQUIP
It’s good to hear from those who have “been there, done that” and who can inspire you to continue working toward your dreams. If you’re looking for more material to inspire you in your business ventures, take a look at these five books that every business owner should read.